I don’t like conflict. Severe conflict gives me a stomach ache. My mom takes ulcer medicine for this reason. My stomach hurt for about an hour after an incident at our yard sale this morning.
As much as I love and adore my husband, I am well aware of what his faults are. I know that he can be rude. That said, I don’t think he was really that rude to this lady. Maybe I am biased, or maybe I just didn’t think he was rude in comparison to how rude I know he is capable of being. I don’t know. I do know that her reaction was completely out of proportion.
This lady asked the price on an item and Andrew told her it was ten dollars. She said “How about three?” and he said …
“How about not.”
Short, a little abrasive, not what I would have said, but over all not that bad I think. If someone had said it to me I might have been a little affronted, but I would have moved on. Anyway, I wouldn’t have offered three dollars on a hand-made $10 item in the first place. It was almost an insult in itself. Anyway, this Lady went completely off the deep end.
She started saying how rude he was and going to each of my relatives working there and telling them how rude he was (in front of him) and about how that isn’t the way to run a yard sale and she was going to come back later and see if we’d sold anything because we wouldn’t. She was going to go down the street and put up a sign telling people not to come to our yard sale because we were rude.
Really, Lady? Really?
My dad said to tell her to go for it. Hand her a marker and some cardboard and maybe she’ll go away.
The women in my family are pretty calm and we all just ignored her for a while, but she only escalated. She said that the item wasn’t worth that much and of course my husband can’t keep his mouth shut and replied ‘Then don’t buy it.’
Screeching commenced.
She came out with several insulting things, to which my husband couldn’t help himself but reply, all while I’m pushing on his chest, chanting urgently: “Don’t talk to her. Don’t answer her. Don’t listen. Don’t talk to her.”
He actually stopped and tried to let it go three different times, which I was proud of him for, but she kept on and on and on and he was really getting angry. She moved on to personal insults, at one point telling my husband that he ‘looked like someone who played with dolls’. After that he couldn’t really take her seriously any more and finally stopped answering her. So she yelled several more things such as “Oh, nothing to say back to that, huh?” and along those lines and finally got into her car and left.
Her husband just sat in the car for this entire exchange and didn’t make eye contact with anyone. I hope he is never rude to her.
3 comments:
Oh my goodness...that was SUPER hilarious! I wish I had been there! I would have had words for her... I hope Andrew had fun with that! I'm glad he restrained himself. Good on him! I don't know if I would have been able to. :-)
Oh good gravy! That is a woman who is in deep need of some anger management classes. I don't think that what Andrew said was very rude. I also think that he was much nicer the second time around than I would have been.
nate and i read this together.. he laghed.. mostly because he could totally see drew doing it and he thought the lady was ridiculous.. i'm still a little sick to my stomach..
Post a Comment